Friday, July 29, 2011

My husband's thoughts: Crossfit, Journaling and the Week

By Scott
 
I was pressed for time on Wednesday morning because of an early breakfast meeting (I AM in sales,  you know) so I decided to hit a short Crossfit workout that was mentioned as a challenge in last month's  Muscle and Fitness Magazine.  If you have never tried a Crossfit style workout or program, please do some homework on the net and give it a chance.  I have utilized non-traditional workouts my whole life and attempt to train 1-2 times per week with these types of routines.


Wed morning looked like this:

4:30 am – alarm

4:40 – 1 cup of coffee, 1 scoop of pre-workout supplement

5:00 – in sauna for a 5 min “cheat” warm up

5:10 – BW Circuit warm up 5 rounds (10 squats x 10 push ups x 10 pull ups) no break between rounds

5:15 – Crossfit challenge begins:

     1-      800 meter run (on indoor track)

     2-      Back squat x 315 lbs x 10 reps

     3-      800 meter run (indoor track)

     4-      Front squat x 225 x 10

     5-      800 meter run (indoor track)

     6-      Overhead squat x 135 x 10

5:39 am – finish.


I had to complete the Overhead squats in 3 sets and they were ugly.  I grabbed my bag, was home by 5:50 and off to my breakfast by 6:30.  My legs were pretty sore, but a light run/stretch/sauna on Thursday got me ready to go for my kettlebell / pull-up / jump rope / versa climber circuit this morning.  I felt pretty good for my 50 min go and will plan on a grappling workout at lunch today.


For those of you wondering, I feel better now at 36 then I did in my “prime” (if I ever had one).  My current stats:

Height – 5’10’’

Weight – 203

Resting heart rate – 59 BPM

%BF – unknown but my guesstimate is 13-15% (I can still see my abs, but no oblique’s…)

Squat – 420 (strict and low)  Those of you who know me know that I am not lying about my squat technique!

Deadlift – 400

Bench – 320


I am journaling this because of my belief in tracking and metrics.  If you do not know where you are at, it is impossible to figure out a path to where you want to be.  I keep a similar list on my work stats and this trending information always gives me a good indicator of where I will be in a couple of months.


It was a great work week for me and I am continually impressed with the work ethic, follow-through, and professionalism of my new company.  As always, it was a whirlwind of activity at home and my beautiful wife has managed to keep us all functional, fed, safe, and out of the hospital for another week.  Annie and I discuss nightly our life situation and how blessed we really are.  I am looking forward to finishing the work week strong and spending some time with the girls and my best friend who is in Nashville for the weekend.


As always, comments are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment