Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Winter Fish Tacos

Ok, you are seriously going to have to just trust me on this one.  Scott and I love fish tacos and have a summer recipe with mango salsa and lime that we make about every other week.  I can't even remember where I got it.  One day, I'll find it and share it with you. 

So, I was reading a recipie for a chicken taco that called for acorn squash and I thought that might replace the sweetness the mango salsa offered for a more wintery fish taco.  

Wait!  Don't close out the window just yet!

Can I just tell you, it was amazing?  Really.  My husband even finished off all the food on the table - you know, so we wouldn't have any left-overs. 

And I haven't even told you the best part...BOTH OF MY CHILDREN ATE IT!!  100%!!  Two for two!! 

So I have to share...

Winter Fish Tacos


I used a pound of tilapia for this and it would probably feed four average eaters.  I love using tilapia because it's relatively inexpensive and doesn't have bones.  Plus, it's very mild tasting and works in most dishes.  

Take an acorn squash, split it down the middle and scrape out the seeds and pulp.  Place cut-side down in a baking dish with a little water.  Bake at 350 for about an hour.  

After the hour, take out your squash (leave your oven on) and spray a cooking sheet.  Cut your fish on the diagonal and place on the sheet.  Then (once your squash is cool enough touch) peel your squash and chop into cubes.  Divide them around your fish on the same sheet.  Sprinkle the whole thing with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt and pepper.  Throw back in the oven at 350 for about 10-15 minutes (just watch the fish cook).

While this is cooking, chop one good sized tomato, an avocado and make some slaw with some chopped cabbage, a little mayonnaise and salt and pepper.  Throw your fixings into separate bowls.  Heat 6-8 flour tortillas between two damp paper towels in the microwave for 45 seconds.

Assemble your tacos and add salt and pepper (or hot sauce, if that flips your skirt).  We had this with steamed broccoli and cauliflower. 

Seriously, it is so yummy.  Something about the sweet of the squash with the fish...oh, stop wrinkling your nose! Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment