Monday, January 17, 2011

Healthified Ribollita

Sometimes, I just don't have it in me to plan meals out for the next week.  So in this spirit, I hauled my circus to Kroger last week and just got what I needed, plus some produce on sale and figured I'd roll with our meals  this coming week (don't you just feel sorry for my husband?!).  So Sunday morning found me searching for some kind of soup with cabbage, tomatoes and six cups of chicken stock (all I had left in the freezer).

I ran across this recipe for Ribollita, which I had never heard of before, but I am never disappointed with the Barefoot Contessa's work so I thought I'd give it a go.


Now, I wasn't planning on having dried beans, so I didn't soak them overnight.  I boiled them in a pot of water for 10 minutes and then pulled them off the heat and left them covered for two hours.  The result was the same as soaking (shew!  *wipe forehead*).  

I "healthified" Ina Garten's version by adding turkey bacon instead of panchetta (I know, I know...a sacrilege unless you're watching your weight!) and I used spinach instead of kale, because I had some I needed to use.  I also chopped up a head of cabbage that I had (cue initial recipe search) instead of napa cabbage.  We bought a loaf of crusty bread to replace the sourdough and the leftover crusts came in handy to silence a squalling baby.


And her older sister, Princess Cranky Pants...


100% approval rating by all members of the family!  My husband asked to keep it "in the rotation," which definitely makes it worth sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment