Friday, February 4, 2011

You're only as Strong as your Weakest Pig-Out Moment

Am I the only one that has one of these? 

I swear, all day I eat clean, clean, clean.  I write proudly in my little journal and mark down my fruits and vegetables.  I walk triumphantly past the kitchen, not even glancing in.  I mean, I am just the hot nutritional stuff...

Until nap time hits.

The girls go down and I fix myself a cup of coffee or tea.  And then I think, you know what would be good with this?  CHOCOLATE.  So I go scavenging through the cabinets / freezer / refrigerator until I find something (ANYTHING) chocolate.  It's at this time that I lose all control of portion sizes - I mean 5 or 10 Hershey kisses...2 or 3 cookies...does it really matter?!  And before I know it, I put away my journal for the day because there's no point in writing any of this down!

Am I alone here?

I think I've always had these times.  At one point of my life, my pig-out moment came at night when I was watching TV.  Or when I worked in an office, I had to "stretch my legs" and walk past the vending machine around 3:00 every afternoon.  When I was coaching, I'd stop and grab a snack and a Coke on the way out of town to get me through the drive.  I'm not sure if this is mental or physical, but I can tell you this much, I think I would have a pretty clean slate if not for these little episodes.

But then I ask myself, are these episodes keeping me from reaching my goals or are they keeping me sane?  Because really, I am a MUCH happier person after I've eaten the kisses...  Perhaps they are keeping me human?!

All of this was irrelevant until an occurrence as of late...

I was caught.

Elizabeth be-bopped in from her nap before I had a chance to clean up the table and pointed to an Oreo wrapper (found beneath a fryer chicken in my deep freezer...I'm serious, people!  I scavenge, sometimes!).  "Mama?  Tooties??  Me want tooties!!"

*Groan*

Although that was not as bad as this summer when I was really trying to lose weight so I kept all chocolate out of the house.  Well, Nancy Drew here found a single box of Klondike Bars in the freezer.  So I ate one every day for however many bars were in there.  They would just call to me during nap time!  When they were gone, like an idiot, I threw the box in the recycling.

And guess who does the recycling...oh yes, my dear husband.

In he comes one day, holding up the empty box.

"Why didn't anyone tell me we had little ice cream sandwiches??!!" 

Ah well...if this is the worst of it, I guess it's not all that bad.  :)

4 comments:

  1. No, you are not alone. Trust me! And at my worst moment (with the hubby discovering my weakness to chocolate early on in my marriage) he came home to the smell of brownies...and asked where they were. You can guess what had already happened to them...yep, the nap-time routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and in my defense, I was preggers with Adam at the time. Early on I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and after a few binges, I ate really clean, and ended up gaining a total of 12 pounds during my pregnancy with him. When I am pregnant, I am totally clean with what I eat and drink cause I don't want to affect the baby. Why can't I do that for myself???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Tonya...I totally just laughed out loud at you!! I LOVE brownies!!! So glad to know I'm not the only one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I found myself eating leftover semi-sweet chocolate morsels from my holiday baking.. And then I was trying to measure in my head how many I thought might be in a tablespoon...AS IF IT MATTERED AT THAT POINT!

    ReplyDelete