Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Because sometimes you just need macaroni and cheese

When you ask Elizabeth what she wants to eat, you're going to get one of three answers.  Every time.  

Pizza.
Cheese sandwich.
Mac and cheese.

Now, very rarely do I make these things for dinners - a lot of times, I'll appease her for lunch and then we'll have whatever is on my menu plan for dinner.  Well, yesterday ended up being just one of those blah days.  And I think on those days, you just might need mac and cheese for dinner.

Why am I telling you this?

Well, because my husband called on his way home from work and asked, "What's for dinner?  I am starving tonight."  My answer received a pause on the other end (since we are both trying to slim down and this meal would not help).  "Are you going to post this on your blog?  Will this help mamas get their pre-baby bodies back?"

No.  It will not.

So here I am, being accountable to you and letting you know that I fixed macaroni and cheese for dinner last night and IT'S OK BECAUSE I'M ONLY HUMAN AND I NEEDED IT!  And you might, one night too - considering that you are only human as well.  

Of course, I healthified it, because that's what I do.  So I felt a little less guilty (and you will see why I say little when you see the ingredients).  Here is my recipe - mostly handed down from my Grandma to my mom.

Boil up your box of pasta - I used Ronzoni's Garden Delight, the little whirly-gig kind.  Both of the girls love it and it is tomato, spinach and carrot pasta AND there are three servings of vegetables in the box AND a lot of times, I can get it BOGO at Publix...with a coupon...because I'm cheap.

Make your white sauce.  I melt 2 tbsp of butter and whisk in 2 tbsp of flour to a bubbly paste.  Then add in 1 cup of milk (I use 2%).  Whisk until thick, smooth and bubbling.  Then add in 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar (I just use whatever's left in the bag that I'm sure is already open in the fridge) and 1 cup of Velveeta  a very secret ingredient.  (I KNOW it's so bad for you, but I HAVE to have it in there.  I grew up eating it this way!)  

Whisking in the cheese
In order to combat my secret ingredient and make myself feel better, I throw in 1/2 cup to 1 cup of pureed butternut squash from the freezer and let that melt in with the cheese.  This just gives it an extra dose of vegetables that no one knows...and it even makes the color more orange.  Seriously, you don't taste it!

And there's with the squash...see?  you can't even tell.
Drain the cooked noodles and add to the cheese sauce.  I always put mine in a covered Pyrex dish and microwave for five minutes to get it extra melty...but you don't have to. 

And the best part about cooking dinner last night?  I found the cutest little elves to do my laundry...




Have a great night!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever done the squash as spaghetti noodles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have! When I make it that way, I normally bake the squash, string it out and then layer it in a baking dish. A layer of spaghetti squash, meat sauce, cheese, then the rest of the squash, rest of the sauce, rest of the cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes. That's our favorite way to have it!

    ReplyDelete