Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cold and Rainy Wednesday

If you didn't get it from the title, today is cold and rainy.  

Scott had to be at work early - as in 6:45 a.m. early (yikes!) - so Elizabeth climbed into bed with me and snuggled up.  And proceeded to poke and pry open my eyes.

"Mama, I yika you eyes."

"Thank you, Elizabeth.  I like your eyes too.  Please don't poke mine out."

She followed me downstairs with her big fuzzy blanket and cuddled up on the couch to watch the news, the weather outside setting the mood for the day.  Like most mornings, she quizzed me in order to survey the day's situation.

"What we doing today, Mama?"

I have created two little busy-bodies that hate staying at home.  Every morning, they ask for the plan - even Rachel, who talks in a jumbled mess but throws in "Y" and "library" so I know her basic question.

"Well, we're going to go to the Y and then maybe we'll fix some hot chocolate during nap time and then we need to go to the store."

"What we got to get?  Toys??"

My child is very eager for Christmas and the early displays have not disappointed these two.  I have to pin them both in the cart when I walk down the aisles, otherwise they would trip over their own feet as their eyes bugged out of their head.  It's stimulus overload in it's finest form.

"No...mama has to get panty hose."

I haven't had much occasion to wear panty hose past the third grade, when I remember the crotch falling down and being just plain irritating.  I normally will go to any other measure than to wear hose, but this Saturday, I have a hot date.

Scott's company is hosting a to-do at a pretty snazzy restaurant and we have a babysitter.  Upon announcing the event, my considerate husband, knowing his wife's fashion incompetence, said, "You're going to need to wear high heels."

"I know!"  I said, scoffing the idea of my own clothing inadequacy.  Actually, my mind had already been racing along what to wear and had decided on two dresses that my lovely friend Susie had passed down to me - both maternity and both made in this decade, which shoots them straight to the top in my closet.  However, the problem with dresses was that I had to wear hose.  

And my non-maternity options stop just at my thighs...there's no getting those bad boys up.  I've tried.  Stupid control tops. So I'm off to search for pregnancy panty hose...and a pair of high heels that will fill my husband's requirements.  

Shoe shopping with two small children - that just shoots straight to the top of my list of things I want to do in life - right under a root canal.  

I'll let you know how it goes.  Or maybe I'll just curl up under the big comfy blanket on the couch and watch it rain.  Because that sounds waaaay better than shoe shopping!

1 comment: