Monday, August 22, 2011

Recovering from the Weekend...

This past weekend was one of those that flew by so fast, I think I missed some of it.  I had another pitching clinic with some lessons scattered in and the girls went swimming with their daddy.  Yesterday, we had a wonderful church service, Scott's 37th birthday, a pulled back muscle and now we are anticipating the arrival of my mom on a jet plane this morning...

Shew!

Is is funny or coincidence that the older I get, the more I don't / can't obsess about my house being clean when my mother comes?  I didn't make it half way through the floors last night when some sort of disaster struck - which happened a lot yesterday with Rachel (AKA Princess Moody Pants).  Anyway, I was going upstairs to bed when I noticed the trail of dirty finger prints going up the wall.  I remember before kids when I would go on a total cleaning spree...preparing for the white glove test when my mom got settled and began thoroughly inspecting my home.  

Which I guess she can't do anymore either with two rug rats latched onto her legs.  So maybe it all comes out in the wash.

I'm excited about seeing her and a little less excited about this back injury.  I've pulled something muscular under my left rib cage and it just bugs me to no end.  Actually, it's been bugging to a sort of end for a while and I've kept pushing it and yesterday it told me ENOUGH!  I forsee a couple days of long cardio for me in hopes to burn calories and not irritate it further...

Because people, I consumed some calories this weekend.

Scott turned 37 - or as Elizabeth said, "turned 37 on his 3rd birthday."  The girls got him a Curious George floor puzzle and a Minnie Mouse and Little Mermaid balloon and he was thrilled with all efforts on their part to think of him.  I attempted, for the first time, to make an ice cream cake.  While the thing wasn't the prettiest cake I've ever seen, it was sinfully good.  I believe my husband may have taken a picture to send to my professional pastry chef of a sister after I begged him not to - otherwise, there is no evidence other than the overwhelming sense of not wanting anything sweet for the next 100 years.  

You know you've eaten too much birthday cake when you can't even bring yourself to lick your fingers as prepare to store leftover cake in the freezer...

And that is a tragedy:  to wash perfectly good icing off your fingers.

Speaking of birthdays,  today is my grandparent's 90th.  My sister sent me this picture from their birthday party yesterday that we couldn't make it up to and I just love it.


My grandparents are very unique that they were born on the same day of the same year.  How cool is that?  My favorite part of this picture is the fact that they are holding hands - that just makes me tear up and be so thankful for the example they have set forward for Scott and myself.  To be 90 years old and having the privilege of being able to spend almost 70 married years of that together...what a blessing.  (And to still be holding hands after 70 years is an even bigger miracle!!)  They raised three beautiful girls and have six grandchildren and two great grandchildren and enjoy playing games, reading books and doing jigsaw puzzles.  I hate that we don't live closer to see them more often, but today my heart is with my grandparents.

Well, at least a little bit of it.  Another part is on its way in a jet plane.

Gotta get to cleaning.  Have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. I did not get a picture of the lumpy cake with white icing at all. Your husband would not do that to you. ;o)

    ReplyDelete