Thursday, April 14, 2011

Smooth move for more fruit!!

Ok, I'm reaching for a title here...bear with me!  I am so excited to tell you about this next realm of trying to sneak in better food to my kids...


Smoothies!  Milkshakes!!

Now, I realize that smoothies aren't some new thing and most of you have probably been on this bandwagon long before now, but to be perfectly honest with you, they've always grossed me out a little.  I like yogurt, but I can't stomach the idea of those little smoothie yogurt drinks.  I've bought them, looked at them in the fridge, and then threw them away once they expired.

Just couldn't do it. 

So I was flipping through my new $5 Dinner Mom Breakfast and Lunch Cookbook (I told you I got it and I LOVE IT!) and she has great ideas for working in fruits and veggies in most meals and I noticed that she serves smoothies a lot in her house.  So I asked Erin (the author) on Facebook about what kind of fruits she uses (frozen or fresh) and she very nicely wrote back that using frozen fruits makes it thicker...LIKE A MILKSHAKE!

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!


So decided to try this at snack time, when  my children are most likely to bypass all things fruit for crackers or Cheerios.  I mixed it up...yogurt, milk, strawberries, bananas, etc. Calling out, I  asked, "Who wants milkshakes??"

*Cricket.  Cricket.  Cricket.*

Two crinkle noses spy over the counter, skeptical of my new creation.

Hmmm...  "Who wants milkshakes in Mommy's Chick Fil A cup?"


Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!  (Thank goodness it hadn't gone in the recycling yet!)


Princess post-nap cranky pants.


And her sister, the green-eyed jealous milkshake monster.


Thinking that this one wouldn't fare so well with a full-on cup, I took the inner piece off the sippy and she went to town.


Even mommy got in on the action!!


Downside:  my kitchen cabinet is now just a little less fancy...ha!

Erin offers more smoothie recipes on her website - and even featured some with kale and spinach, although I admit that I'm going to have to work my way up to those.  I love that she sweetens them with honey and adds ground flaxseed - making them such a healthy drink for my little ones!

Now they come running when I ask if they want milkshakes...you know, in the Chick Fil A sippy... 

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Your kids are so cute drinking their milkshakes! My mom would make them for us as kids (admittedly, without the honey and flaxseed). You can peel a banana and put it in the freezer in a zip bag to use as well as use frozen berries from a bag. Very tasty :)

    ReplyDelete