Saturday, April 17, 2010

Potty Training 101

This title is to insinuate that this is a class I am taking...not one that I am teaching. When I first mentioned that I was going to start Elizabeth potty training, I got suggestions from you wonderful friends of things to do and books to read.  Well, I haven't done any of that.  Not that I am not appreciative, but I've been a little busy with this new leech of mine.  So we've struck out on our own in potty training.  Here's to new adventures.

I asked for Mom's help when she came down for a week and she informed me that I had gotten Elizabeth a boy's chair.  I had no idea there was a difference.  She plopped my unhappy child down on the seat and showed me the lip for little boys that made it uncomfortable to sit way back in the chair.   Elizabeth would sit on the very edge of the seat, without her rear end anywhere close to the collection bowl.  Yikes! So off to Target we went to get a "girl" potty chair.  Now, my mother picked out this chair...I had no say.  She purchased it for her granddaughter.  It is...sigh...a princess potty chair.  It has a crown as a back rest and has a sensor in the seat that plays music when liquid or solid hits the bottom.  

Elizabeth is in love with it.

She loves it so much that she takes the seat off and brings it into the living room to stand in.


Yeah, I know...now, none of you should feel offended that you haven't been invited to dinner.  ha!  I missed the Kodak moment that she had it on her head.


So anyway, we've started this process by just sitting on the potty.  All clothes are in place, we're just getting used to sitting in there.  She likes this game, with mommy sitting on the big potty and she gets books and we sing songs.  Then she declares, "All done," splashes her hands in the sink and runs off to play.  Check!  She likes the potty.  We read potty books, she can say potty (sounds more like didi, but she points to the bathroom, so it's potty to us).  Therefore, it's only logical to think, let's try it without the diaper.  So one Saturday, my sweet husband goes in to get his daughter and takes her into potty.  Off goes the diaper....he sets her down on the seat..she SCREAMS!  Do you want a book, Elizabeth?  SCREAM!  She does not want to sit on the potty without her diaper.  I'm fixing breakfast at the time and my naked-from-the-waist-down daughter comes sprinting in and throws her arms around my legs. 

"That didn't go well," Scott says.

So...we're not quite ready yet.  I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment