Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Firsts...

We've had several "firsts" in our house these past few days...the most exciting being that Miss Rachel slept ALL NIGHT last night!  She always has one wake up call before she's really down, so she finally went to sleep at 9:30 p.m. and I didn't hear a peep out of her until 6:00 a.m.!  Now here's the difference between your first and second.  The first time Elizabeth slept through the night, I was awake every two hours to see if she was breathing.  With number two, I woke up at 6:00 and congratulated her!!  Maybe Scott checked on her - I haven't asked him yet.  I'm pretty sure we were both out cold!

Here is my beautiful, wide awake baby girl!

I've told you that Elizabeth has been trying her hand at throwing fits, but last night was her first attempt at a full-blown temper tantrum.  I was trying to get dinner on the table and Scott had just gotten home from work when it started.  She told me she wanted to eat ("Eat!!") and I asked her to wait a second - which are the three most dreaded words a 21-month-old can hear.  Well, she started her usual cry/whine and decided to throw in a scream just for fun.  Now, who knows where she picks up these things...she may have heard a kid at the Y cry this way, but it was a new thing for her.  I can see the wheels turning as she throws in the first scream...almost as a hesitation...and I try not to laugh as I set the table.  She keeps going, sending it into the next octave and increasing her volume.  I must have not been reacting like she wanted because she stomped in and tried it on her daddy, who precisely spanked her butt and sent her back in to me.  I take her hand and start leading her to the high chair and she's so into the tantrum that she makes her legs go weak.  Now I'm dragging my screaming child across the floor.  It wasn't until she was sitting in her seat that she noticed the macaroni and cheese in front of her (her favorite) and turned off the scene.  Ahh...I can't wait for the two's. 

As if that wasn't enough, she's figured out how to turn on and off the light in the bathroom.

I was running the vacuum cleaner this morning when I noticed the bathroom door was closed and the light was on.  Not seeing any sign of Elizabeth (it had been all of 30 seconds since I started the sweeper), I marched to the bathroom door, prepared to fuss at my child for closing it.  I open the door and there she is, sitting on her potty, reading a book.  Success!!!  So I sit across from her and we read through the whole book and then she hops up and runs to play.  Now, to try it without a diaper on...ha!  We may be getting close here, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment