Thursday, April 12, 2012

Love is...

Let me preface this story with another one.  

The other day, I was doing dishes in preparation to cook dinner. Now, perhaps only a parent of small, demanding "HUNGEE!" children can understand how you have to first clean the kitchen before you can do any cooking...and then you have to do it all again later, no matter how thoroughly you try to clean as you cook. But regardless, I was watching my beautiful children play outside in the Spring sunshine and noticed that Elizabeth was especially interested in a little patch on the ground.  So interested that she stuck her toe in it.  Then she proceeded to jump on the subject and do the twist.

Calling out, I asked my darling three-year-old what she was playing with.  

"Dog poop," she answered.  And as I calmed my gag reflex, I made a mental note to wash the yellow, pink and orange tie-dyed Crocs she was playing in.  

Fast forward three days.  The Crocs still haven't been washed, but they are put up, or so I thought as I was frantically cleaning the house because my in-laws are on their way to meet their new grandson.  Our floors were filthy so first on my list was to vacuum and then deep clean - all slated during Caleb's naptime.  At the same time, I had decided to do a little potty time with Rachel.

Now, before you think I'm crazy for potty training while nursing full blast (ha! pun unintended), I will make slight reference to a little blond two-year-old who sprinted out of her room last night after bedtime, buck-naked and screaming that she had to go to the potty.  We weren't sure whether to be more worried that she was out of her diaper for a long time or could now open the door by herself, but either way, action needed to be taken today.

And anyone who has ever lived around Rachel for more than a day can attest to the fact that she needs to be locked in her room at night.  Seriously, the kid is c-r-a-z-y. 

But then she gets that naturally, I guess.

So back to my love is...

Love is not strangling the ever-loving daylights out of your child when you catch them running across your freshly deep-cleaned carpet with poo-poo Crocs on and no pants...


I swear, I could not make this stuff up...

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment: