Saturday, April 14, 2012

Back on the Wagon Again Workout


Well, my friends, today was the day…

My in-laws are in town and volunteered to watch Caleb.  I was able to squeeze myself into one of the two non-maternity shirts and pair of pants that fit.  I dug out my ipod.  I laced up my tennis shoes.

And...

(oh, you guessed it…

I began my quest for my PRE-BABY BODY BACK!! 

It's a trip I've been on before and I have to tell you that this journey is entirely personal.  The one piece of universal advice I've gathered from mothers everywhere on getting back in shape is to listen to your body.  So I've listened.

And today was the day.  

Now, I won't tell you I feel 100% because my insides still feel...well, mushy.  Like I just had a baby about a month ago.  So I didn't break any records today - just a sweat, which was all I was after.  


Diet wise, Scott and I have jumped on the Paleo wagon, although I have to admit that I keep one foot dragging in the dirt while he is fully on board.  If you're not familiar with it, it's basically all meat, vegetables and fruit - no grains, dairy or legumes.  This has been a pretty easy task in the Spring, and I've lost 20 easy pounds so far.  (I gained 40 total with this pregnancy.)  My swelling is significantly better than after Rachel and I feel great - besides that normal recovering from just having a baby sort of stuff.  

So with my diet finally under control (I went just a teensy bit crazy in the third trimester), I'm ready to begin the work part of getting my body back.  Scott wrote up the following workout for me - it's been about two months since I've lifted so I wanted to start back slow and keep my intensity at a minimum.  I also don't feel quite ready to do any leg work yet, so you'll notice the only lower body work is with the calves.  It took me right about an hour to complete.

Back on the Wagon Again Workout  (for me: 1 month postpartum)

15 minute - incline treadmill walk (I stayed around a 6 incline with a 3.5 speed)

30 second plank
 
Super-set I (perform 3 times)
DB Bench press  x 10
Low Pulley row  x 10

30 second plank 

Super-set II (perform 3 times)
Bicep curls  x 10
Tricep rope pushdown  x 10
Standing calf raises  x 10

30 second plank

15 minute - incline treadmill walk (I stayed around a 6.5 incline with a 3.7 speed)

Tonight, I feel tired, but good in the sense that I was able to reconnect with a part of my pre-new mommy self.  We were kind of guessing on the planks - not being sure if it was a good idea or not.  I'll let you know!  

No comments:

Post a Comment