Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Double-Room Project

This weekend was officially the beginning of get-the-house-ready-for-our-third-child.  I know that I shared with you all our adventures in getting Rachel into her big girl bed and I really appreciate all the comments and advice you provided on doubling them up in the same room so we can have the third bedroom for Junior.

Scott and I hashed out a plan, which was simply:

1)  Paint the bedroom (walls and baseboards).
2)  Move furniture into room.
3)  Pray that the girls sleep in said room.

Friday morning, the girls and I ventured to Lowes and, thanks to the distraction of fruit snacks and goldfish, I was able to pick out the paint I wanted, along with the needed supplies.  Saturday, I had lessons in the morning while he moved furniture and prepped the room and Scott was finally able to get started putting actual paint on the walls when I got home in the early afternoon.

Here were shots of the room before...and I have to apologize up front for my picture quality.  Our camera has died and until we get a new one, you're going to be stuck with cell phone shots!
From the door of the room

Closet and two dressers.  Why yes, that is a naked Dora doll.  Don't you have naked dolls all through your house?

Bed and second window
We wrapped up the painting on Sunday evening and Scott was able to move the girls' furniture in just before bedtime.  

Paint and furniture in place
Just on a side note, if I thought I loved my husband before, I cannot tell you how much I love him even more now after watching him paint and decorate in shades of purple and pink, solely for the joy of his little girls.  I know I've said it before, but there is nothing sexier than watching your husband be a good daddy. 

Here are the curtains and curtain rods he hung for me.  Aren't they adorable?!
These are all the pictures we're going to do for now, as this weekend, we plan to touch up the paint and decorate the walls...but this should at least give you an idea.

Now, I hadn't anticipated the excitement of the new room, but after being banished from the upstairs most of the weekend and seeing the purple walls and their beds in the same room, we had two little banshees on our hands.  

There was no slowing them down Sunday night.  In the tub, they splashed and screamed like crazy.  They bounced on the bed through story time.  They giggled through their bedtime prayers.  So Scott and I looked at each other, shrugged, kissed them goodnight and closed the door.  

I remember one time growing up, I had a bag full of those bouncy balls you used to get in the little machines walking out of the grocery store.  One day, my neighbors and I thought it would be fun to bounce them all as hard as we could (all at the same time) in a little enclosed area at the bottom of their stairs.  I can still remember them ricocheting in all different directions as we covered our heads and squealed with delight.

That is the best comparison I have to the sounds coming from the room above Scott and me as we attempted to watch TV for the next couple hours.  They laughed.  They cried.  They sang.  

But they did not come out of the room.

Around 9:30 p.m., Scott looked at me and whispered, "I haven't heard them in a couple minutes."  And we both sat there, listening. 

We gave them about 15 minutes and then checked on them.  Elizabeth was tucked in under her covers and Rachel was completely sprawled on top of hers, but they were in their own beds.  Asleep.  

And it was heavenly.

Until 3 a.m.  

Rachel started the wake-up call by crying for me, and because I was sleeping with one ear open, I jumped up and ran in the room.  I took her downstairs to rock and, as we ventured back up the stairs to get back in bed, I heard the second cry from Elizabeth.

That she had thrown up.  In her bed.  

Thus began the next two hour frenzy of changing sheets and drying tears from both girls and finding the puke bucket and trying to get them settled down again.  At one point, I found myself on the couch, laying on the opposite end as Elizabeth, with Rachel on top of me and my son kicking me with all his might on the inside.  

It was a bonding experience with my children, that's for sure.

Last night went much smoother, without the excitement of the first night and they both settled down quickly.  Closing the door, we heard big sister tell little sister goodnight and the she loved her and needed to stay in her bed.  

And honestly, our hearts broke just a little.  You see, in all my worrying and planning on rooming them together, I totally underestimated the powerful bond of sisters.  I roomed with my sisters and can still remember talking and laughing and enjoying the time together without mom and dad, in the dark. 

And now they'll have the experience of sharing secrets and fun and stories after the lights go out.

Well, and we will too...since we moved the baby monitor in their room.  ha!  Scott said, "Do you think we can just hide it and keep it in there until they're 16?"

They slept all night and woke up happy and healthy this morning.  I am so proud of them for adjusting quickly and am thankful to have a husband who works full time to provide for us and then does weekend projects like these during his off time with no complaints.  

This week, I'm hoping to start on the baby's room and at least get the edging and cutting in done while it's warm enough for me to open up the house.  

But we shall see...I'll keep you updated!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment