Monday, September 22, 2014

Making Do on a Monday Afternoon

I'm doing Beth Moore's Revelation study with a group of wonderful women and she has challenged us to pray for God to reveal Himself to us in our everyday lives.  This simple prayer has literally exploded my world, making even the smallest and simplest things wonderful.  

Take this afternoon, for instance.

I needed to go to the grocery store.  

I told Scott that very thing last night as I surveyed the contents of the fridge and planned on possibly sneaking in a trip after my morning Bible study.  However, life had different plans.  Life being my children.

Caleb woke up seven shades of crabby after a long weekend of interrupted naps and Rachel was ready to go home and relax after I picked them up from the childcare.  As I called Scott on my way home, I told him I would just skip the store and figure out dinner from what we had.  We would "make do."

My crew had a lazy afternoon dozing and playing and watching cartoons and I got my chores and most of my to-do list done. (Except for the bathrooms...why do I always put those off??)  As I started to prepare dinner, they climbed up to the island and ate snacks as they watched me chop and dump ingredients into my green, cast iron soup pot.  

It suddenly dawned on me what a change our family had been through in the past five years and what a difference "making do with what we had" meant now.  In my pot began the most fragrant soup.  Homemade stock, onion, garlic, chopped leftover bacon, italian sausage and grilled chicken...chopped mushrooms and a bunch of kale I needed to either use or lose...  Can't you smell it?  Oh, it is filling up my house with love and yumminess as I type this.

It wasn't too long ago that "making do" would have involved a can of tuna, a package of Ramen noodles and a can of diced pineapple.  (Duh, you make a mock tuna noodle and have pineapple for dessert...HA!)  

I am bowled over with God's provisions.  Healthy kids, a hard-working and loving husband, a home to care for, the skill of cooking that I very honestly haven't always had...I am so thankful for these things today.  

This is how God reveals Himself to me.  Almost as if to say, "Hey...consider this...pretty cool right?"

Thank you for letting me share.  I've missed writing so much and am going to try my best to get back into a routine - even if just to write little snip-its here and there.  I hope you are "making do" today!

Take care, dear friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment